Thursday, May 8, 2014

Mountain Village District Nurse

Back almost eighteen months now a local lady stopped me in the street.  I was on my way to meet my guests, skis on shoulder, dressed for a cold day on the mountain. This lady explained briefly that due to retirement, eighteen months hence, her job would be available and would I be interested?

Now, in my experience, it has been those jobs that landed in my lap that have been the most enjoyable and long lasting. Ski School Wengen asked me if I'd like to join them back in 1990. I've now just completed my 23rd season full time ski teaching. Met some wonderful people and made many life long friends.

Class 1 February 1995, back in the days when anything up to 18 people in a class was acceptable.



Kids Class 4 February 2000

Private Guest  Dr Kenyon 2004

Whilst getting on the train in Wengen, back in 1992, the train driver called me up to the front. I knew him to be a saxophonist in the Lauterbrunnen marching band I had recently joined. It turned out he also conducted the Youth Band in the Lauterbrunnen Valley. There were four girls who wished to learn to play the flute, would I be interested in teaching them? Well, that grew to become twenty-one pupils in 2002. I had to pull out of the Youth Music Scheme then in order to concentrate on working my dissertation and studying for a BSc Hons degree in Phytotherapy. But still to this day have a couple of students who have lessons occasionally.

I'm playing piccolo, Wengen Marching Band circa 1998

Then there is the Hotel Baren here in Wengen who approached me in 1999 to help out with the waitressing as they were short on manpower. This turned into a regular summer position serving breakfast a few mornings a week. Even now, with my new position we'll see if I can fit in a morning or so a week.

 I have now joined the District Nursing Team, Lauterbrunnen Valley. How will this job turn out? Only time will tell.

No comments:

The Eiger

The Eiger