Saturday, May 10, 2014

Mountain Village District Nurse part 2

On Saturday 6th April 2014 I said goodbye to my last ski guests of the winter. Had the Sunday off, of course I went skiing, then started my brand new position as District Nurse on the Monday. Well, not quite brand new as I'd been helping out occasionally since August.

In my experience here in Wengen, every business takes their workers out to dinner twice a year, once in winter and then again in summer. The Hotel Baren took us to Europa Park in 2010, (it's a funfair park with big rides, in Germany), then to Paris last month. Some places really like to give their staff a treat.

The Spitex (District Nurse Organisation) ladies wanted to go to Ballenberg (Outdoor Swiss Life Museum near Brienz) for dinner in August 2013. However, there were a few clients who required help, up in Wengen in the evenings. Hence my rather sudden jump into a job that wasn't to start officially for another nine months.

The Works Vehicle and me at work!

I've been working for Spitex a whole month now. It's not full time, more like 40% - 50%. Mostly mornings, finished by about 13.00. They've agreed to allow me to continue with the ski teaching, I'm not yet ready to give up that fantastic job just yet. Of course, my regular private guests are very happy about that, and so am I.

These last two weeks I've been allowed out on my own. What a stress to begin with! I'm used to having my patients all in one place. Here they are spread out between seven villages. Not only have I to learn about each individual, but also where to find them. Which chalet? Which appartment? Where they keep the key in emergences!  There are no road names only areas and each chalet has a name rather than a number.

Gimmelwald


Today, for instance, I had to visit a lady in Gimmelwald whom I'd never met before. We'll call her Frau Graf (not her real name, but a very typical local name instead). My colleague couldn't tell me the name of the house only how to find it. I couldn't find Fr Graf in the telephone book but luckily I was given her number.


Gimmelwald

 I followed the instructions to the letter. Found the house, went round to the right hand valley side and up the steps. Rang the goat bells, knocked on the door. No response. Well, this lady is expecting me, now what?

Something might have happened to her, maybe she is lying on the floor having fallen over and can't get to the door. So I opened the front door, it wasn't locked. Everyone is so trusting here, which is really lovely. Although I will point out that I was watched very closely by a neighbour sitting on her balcony not far away.

Gimmelwald

I opened the door a crack, 'ooo oooo'd' my hello, it's a multi-lingual greeting! And saw the post on the kitchen table. All addressed to a Herr von Allmen (again not the real name but another typical local one). I was in the wrong house!








No comments:

The Eiger

The Eiger